Thursday, August 6, 2015

Creating words in a sweet way!



   Not too long ago it was National Watermelon Day! I love to eat watermelon and I also think it is very appealing to the eye. This reminded me of a mini lesson I did based off a watermelon theme. 
    This was with a K student and we were creating words. We first did a read aloud with the book, "The Watermelon Seed" by Greg Pizzoli. This book has incredible illustrations and humor children will enjoy. Not to mention the typography in this book was very appealing! 
    After reading the book I wanted to work on the word "seed" which was seen
throughout the whole book.  I created this watermelon/seeds out of construction paper.  I cut them both in a half oval shape and
glued them together. I then cut the seeds out and wrote letters I wanted my student to use. Tip: Use a metallic sharpie marker, they're the best! I had the student first spell out the word "seed" and then had her spell out the word "feed." I then worked with different words such as feel, seen, sand, land etc. The amount of words you can create are endless! This lesson really helped out her spelling and rhyming. 


No comments:

Post a Comment