Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Mason Jar Pyramid

I have a confession to make. I am addicted to colorful pens/markers/pencils and etc. I'm glad that I'm a teacher and my colorful collection seems somewhat normal. Well if you're like me and you have a TON of colorful writing utensils and want to organize it in a cute way keep reading on!



What you need to make a mason jar pyramid
  • 6 mason jars. (I got mine on sale at Michael's for $1.50 a jar!) You can use smaller mason jars but mine are the bigger kind.
  • Paint (I just used acrylic)
  • Paint Brush
  • Hot Glue Gun or any strong glue


  • 1. Go ahead and take the lids off of the jars and separate them like in the picture. You will still need the rings so you can toss the lids away. (Or use them for future craft!)




  • 2. Sand down your mason jars with sand paper. This doesn't need to be done, but I have found that the paint likes to stick more when the surface is sanded down. 





  • 3. Go ahead and paint the jar any color you want. I wanted black so that my colored markers would pop. You don't have to paint the whole lip of the jar but paint to at least the first bump. Tip: as you can see I put my hand in the jar and held it like I had a mason jar claw :). It was a fairly easy way to paint!




  • 4. Once your paint dries, place your rings on the jars. (You could totally paint the rings also!) I kept mine silver because I wanted it to match my gray walls but be as creative as you please!






  • 5. Start up your hot glue gun and start gluing away. The glue dries very quickly because of the glass so make sure to go fast! I had reapply my glue a bunch of times so don't worry, you'll get the hang of it. If I did this again I would maybe try the glue E600 so that it doesn't dry on me so fast. 




  • 6. Start with the base like so. I didn't have super strong glue so the hot glue doesn't stick very well to glass. This is okay if you don't plan on moving the pyramid all the time. If it is just going to stay on your desk then hot glue should be fine. 





  • TIP: On the base of your jar put lines of hot glue like in the picture and let it dry. This will be the bottom of your pyramid and will keep it from sliding from the surface.



Glue the others and wala! You have a cute pen/marker holder for your colorful collection. I really loved how this turned out and it's a great way to organize your writing utensils. 

The three bottom jars contain sharpies, the left middle contains highlighters, the middle right contains expo markers, and the top contains pens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment